About Matt Thornton
I’m an IT Consultant and software & business intelligence developer in Guernsey in the Channel Islands. I am currently a Senior Consultant with C5 Alliance in Guernsey. I was previously the Software Development Manager at Healthspan Group Ltd, Guernsey.
I’ve got a PhD in Remote Sensing and Computer Science, a Member of the BCS, and a certified PRINCE2 Practitioner certification. I’ve got various Microsoft Certifications, such as MCPD SharePoint 2010 and MCITP Business Intelligence 2008.
My primary areas of expertise are:
- business analysis – understanding client requirements and producing specifications that make sense to the client and technical developers alike. I often act as the interface between the client and the developers – as a technical person I can propose possible solutions to the client without involving the developer; whilst describing in accurate and complex terms, real client requirements to the developers.
- technical project management – using the tenets of Prince2 for producing project mandates, plans and scoping documents, and handling administration of work packages.
- software development – main areas expertise are in .NET although I cut my teeth on C++.
- SharePoint development – a lot of my recent work has been in SharePoint 2010, particularly in deploying high volume document management/storage solutions with workflow and scanner interaction. I am an MCPD in SharePoint 2010.
- database development and business intelligence – there’s something beautiful about SQL, especially in SQL Server. I design data warehouses using OLAP Cubes in Analysis Services and use Reporting Services and SharePoint 2010 for business intelligence and management information. I hold the MCITP in Business Intelligence.
- web development – I used to do a lot (PHP & MySQL) and started out handcoding static HTML websites in Notepad. I’ve been using publishing platforms like WordPress for years, though, and they’ve revolutionised the way people publish to the web
I use all Apple or Linux computers and VMWare for virtualisation.
In my spare time, such as it is, I’m in to drumming, watersports (surfing and wakeboarding mainly) and cricket.